Friday, November 14, 2008

I Drove in Snow

I've been really nervous about it. I mean, c'mon, I am a product of southern CA, Phoenix, and Dallas. I think I drove in melting snow once in college (partly due to my lack of transportation for most of it). So while I have been anticipating our "first snow" in Denver, I have also been dreading it.

After a warm 66 degree day yesterday, it turned bitterly cold in the middle of the night. My coworker was trying to explain it to me- I won't attempt. I woke up to the words "It's snowing" and immediately felt panic. On Fridays, I have no lifeline- Eric leaves for his other job across town. He also leaves earlier, so I did feel better when he called to tell me there was barely anything falling and that he scraped the frost off my car (yes he is wonderful and yes we are still sharing an ice scraper- laugh away all you from cold climates). However, 30 minutes later when I walked out the door I encountered thick flakes dropping rapidly from the sky. My nervousness resumed. I tried to push the now 3+ inches off of my car while throwing my teacher bag inside. Immediately, what seemed like an inch of snow fell onto the drivers seat. I resisted the urge to cry at the thought of driving it, my soon to be wet bum, and the fact that I was now going to have to drive in snow! We must have been in the middle of the snow dump, because five minutes down the road, no snow was falling from the sky.

I was relieved to have made it to school without an incident and was met by the kind words, "Oh this is nothing! Just wait."

So, as I wait, I will get another ice scraper, some towels for my car, and build myself a garage. And don't worry, I already have my Colorado tags so no one can yell at me "Hey southern driver! Get off the road!"

Too bad, blogging wasn't on my mind this morning. A picture would have been great.

3 comments:

Mary Schwarz said...

Ha...yes...I am just as inept at driving in the snow as you...but I have learned a few things in the past two years. You will too. And you definitely need two scrapers.

Susan said...

Haha, I think it's really funny that you called friday "driving in the snow." It didn't even stick! haha. But, good job facing your fears. You'll be fine as long as you take it slow. And, I agree with Mary- 2 scrapers will be essential- possibly one of those combined snow brush scrappers even!

Julie said...

Good job! I agree with the take it slow advice! And the scraper brush combination...see, then you can brush the snow off the top of your car around the door and it won't fall in your car when you open the door...no more wet seats! :) You will do great.