Wednesday, November 12, 2008

First Grade Facts

... would be the name of our weekly newsletter!

Teaching 1st grade is going well. If I posted pictures of my students (which I don't), I could show you some awesome ones of our time at the zoo, turning ourselves into inside out human trash bag bodies, and mummifying our favorite stuffed animals with tp! Just trust me, their cute!

Things I like about first grade:
- At the zoo, they actually can help read the signs and the map and the continents.
- They are writing and really beginning to read! I did the happy dance about 3 times today when I saw 3 different students reading or writing readable words for the first time today!
- There are less accidents.
- I can trust them with more responsibility.

Things I miss about kindergarten:
- Bye-bye fun "cute" crafts!
- Working with parents for their child's first year of "real" school.
- Seeing the phenomenal growth they make in such a short period of time.
- They are so stinkin cute in a little kid kind of way still! (or at least until 2nd semester!)
- Being their first teacher and laying the reading foundation.

So, the jury's still out. I like my kiddos but sometimes I peek in the kindergarten room and think, "Ah.."

We'll see.

1 comment:

Karolena said...

You should just move up again - they get more responsible, can read more (most of them), and there are even less accidents... I've only had two in two and a half years. I love putting the kids in charge of more and more stuff and seeing them rise to meet the challenges.