Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Eve

I've thought about writing this post for a while, but have hesitated for several reasons. For one, I know that my choice is unpopular with many Christians, and I fear that I will be viewed as less intelligent or spiritual. I have also hesitated due to the fear that I will be viewed as "proselytizing" for your vote... which is not my desire. I decided that on the eve of the election, however, most people have either saved themselves a lot of time by doing early voting, are not voting, or know who they are voting for... if for some reason you don't know who you are voting for tomorrow, *spoiler alert* ahead!

I believe as Christians that we are called to glorify God with our hearts, emotions, bodies, and minds. As part of that, I believe it is important to be aware of not only what is going on in the world but also what is going on in our country. To understand to the best of our knowledge the politics that drive our policies. Not because our hope is in America, but because we are Christians living in America. Not to be discouraged to hopelessness (for this world is not our hope), but to be engaged in the world/country around us. For his purposes, God has placed us as Americans, and though it may be a drop in the bucket (such as going to Africa for a summer, living in the inner city, etc.) we can still exercise influence.

For these reasons, I feel it is important to exercise our right to vote- whether Republican, Democrat, Independent, or by not voting. However, to refuse to look past the sound-bites on TV or the so-called labels of the "Christian" party are poor excuses at using our minds for God's glory. I have a brother in Christ who disagrees with me strongly on political views and we may tease each other relentlessly, but I respect his thoughtfulness that has gone into his decision.

All this rambling to say, after long and careful consideration I am in support of Obama being our nation's next president. No I have not jumped on the "hype-wagon"; no I don't think he is going to save the world (Christ already did that); and yes I believe in the sanctity of human life. This and many other issues I have weighed heavily in my decision. Could he be a terrible president if elected? Sure, but my hope is not in him. Can I rest knowing that I voted in the way I thought would glorify God? Yes.

There are many things I could say, but I will spare you any more political banter.

As His children, may God give us grace to live lives that bring him glory. Amen.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hey Nicole - I know you were really wrestling over writing this, so kudos. Regardless of who we all vote for, Christians do need to be willing to accept graciously that some of their true brothers and sisters in Christ are politically opposite of them - something that Christians have not been good about. I could say that about both political sides actually as well - not being gracious to one another- but then, as Christians we are called out to be different and to lead the way not as liberals or conservatives, but as followers of Jesus.
Love ya!