Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tomorrow Could Be Bad

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the day when live animals are entering my room, specifically fish. I have made it five and 1/2 years into teaching without having to deal with "pets" but that stops tomorrow.

I am freaked out.

They're fish you say. Yes, and I didn't even keep my cats.

But fish are low maintenance you retort. Yes, and they probably die easily.

Folks, there is a reason I have been a "No Pet Zone." When my students in the past have said, "Second grade has baby chicks." or "But they have a hamster up in fourth grade," I have replied with a "Won't that be fun when you get there" line.

Basically, I like to avoid the topic of death in Kindergarten. And having no pets greatly helps that plan.

However, the science curriculum calls for it. The fish are out in the hallway til tomorrow.

At least it's still a day away.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Good luck! Our library had a pet fish named Goggles and it lived for over 3 years! I almost got Caleb one for Christmas but didn't for the reasons you have a no pet zone, so I understand completely! May the fish live long and healthy lives!