Monday, January 17, 2011

Settlers is a Gateway Drug, And I'm a Closet Game Nerd



First of all, it's only fair to credit the brother-in-law with the first half of my title, and Eric with the second.

Also, this post is being inspired by one of my best friends, Julie, who is currently a little bit (or a lot a bit) of a sickie down in Nicaragua. Please lift her up in prayer as you read about it here.

Julie is an amazing friend for many reasons (as is her husband Chase), and while I won't go into a litany as to why right now, one of their awesome qualities is their love of games. I mean they're even playing games in the hospital. Love. It.

Basically over the past 6ish years, any slightly off the beaten path game I have come to know and love has been introduced by them or has connections to them. And while, Settlers has become mainstream (seriously- I saw it at Target!), it is the grandfather of all my enjoyment of future games that have followed it. Here are a few of my favorites.... what should I add to the list?



BANG!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm so glad you found such a great picture of us for the blog :) I guess you had to use it though since we are playing the featured game mentioned. Thanks for the shoutout! I love you! It was great talking to to yesterday and I look forward to it today some time as well! Happy MLK Jr. day!

Julie said...

Looks like fun! I used to play a lot of games but my husband doesn't really like to play other than chess (not a fave of mine). Have you ever played Dutch Blitz (I've heard it called Nertz too, but Dutch Blitz has its own cards). That's always been a favorite of mine.