Sunday, September 19, 2010

Why My Students Will Say, "Why Teacher, You Look Like a Lobster!" Tomorrow

Saturday morning we hiked our last 14-er of the season. We started a little bit later than we normally do (pushing 8 am) since we got lost on the way up to Mt. Quandry. For you non-Colorado-ins, the reason for the really ridiculous early start is because afternoon thunderstorms usually move into the mountains by late morning. (Yes, I realize the irony of that sentence.) And really, who wants to be a lightning rod on the top of a mountain???


However, there was not a cloud in the sky the entire day, making for a beautiful hike. It was pretty rocky trail, which made it slow going, but like always, the view was worth all the calf pain.

I did, however, make one mistake.

For those who know me well, you know that I am always slathering on the shield of outrageously high - numbered sunscreen- and telling all you tan people to do the same. So like always, I put it on my face first thing as we got out of the car. Yes just my face. In my five hour sleepy brain dressed as I was mini-Eskimo style, this was the only exposed skin to be seen or thought about at all. Which would have been fine … except for the fact that I left the sunscreen in the car.



This realization dawned on me a couple hours later at the summit. I decided not to worry. After all, I was 3,000 + feet above my sunscreen- not much I could do. Except hike down and get it. Oh, wait.



So, here I sit with the entire back of my neck slathered in alo vera writing this post. There is no moral. It just is what it is. Though I probably will never forget my sunscreen again.

p.s. A special shout-out to our friend Aaron who just conquered his second fourteener and took gorgeous pics all day!

1 comment:

Julie said...

pobrecita! hope the burn goes away quickly. Wanna skype? tomorrow? Miss you!