Thursday, September 23, 2010

On Hobbies

So unless you're a complete stranger, it won't come as a surprise to you that Eric and I are very different. It's good for us- trust me- but it also has its challenges. Especially when trying to connect our social calendars.

During the past year, Eric used to play nerd games on Sunday afternoons. I don't really consider myself "needy" persay, in my humble, biased opinion, but to be honest I would miss our ability to hang out and relax together. Eric took a hiatus from that hobby earlier this summer and took up a new one- playing soccer on Friday nights at a local park. I love soccer and am glad he has this recreation, but do not so much relish the idea of playing it after a long week of work. So he and a friend often go together. This works well, except when I try to fill his Friday night with a double-date or when my extroverted-ADD self is trying to break free from Friday night boredom.

As we made a compromise a couple weekends ago on this point, Eric looked at me and said, "You know what. You need a hobby." He then proceeded to list a couple of ideas that didn't quite light a fire under me. I explained that I love planning parties and things for us to do, which he said didn't count. It was then that I came to this realization: My hobby is people. Anything involving people, I am all about. Which didn't quite solve our problem. Though it did aid in my mid-twenties self-discovery. And that's just what you get when an introvert and extrovert tie the knot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i think i have the same hobby as you. great post! :)