Thursday, June 3, 2010

On Fairy God-mothers and Mother-in-Laws

I had a dream.

After college, I had managed to collect a lot of debt as well as over 35 college related t-shirts. These t-shirts gradually got worn less and less (as I more and more started working), but they held many special memories for me. So 3 and a half years ago, I embarked on a journey to make a t-shirt quilt. It began with my grandma. We went to the store and bought a "How-to" book. The dream stayed a book for a long time, until my lovely mom-in-law offered up her help, service, wisdom, and patience in fixing all my mistakes. When I went to the store to buy the quilting supplies with Eric, the sweet lady ringing me up warned me that quilting was addicting.

Let's just say I never had to go to rehab. I began the project with mom-in-law, watched my dream take shape, and then watched it disappear into a bag in the back of my closet due to multiple moves and this thing called Life. My dream was mostly dead. Last holiday season, I attempted to pull it out once more by bringing it with me to the in-laws- the end.

Just when I thought there would be no quilt, my gracious mom-in-law saved the day memories and finished it for me for my birthday.

And I love it!!!! And don't worry- I only explain the significance of every square in person!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

i LOVE it! i have a high school quilt, but my mom said i'd have to do it myself if i wanted a college one haha. but you've inspired me! maybe i'll actually get out all my college t-shirts and start working on it :)

Chase Russell said...

Uhh...i still wear my t-shirts from college. Is that bad?

Julie said...

Oh Erp...the weekend we were and decided to be roommates...who knew what all the future would hold for us back then? Can't beleive that was 8 years ago now!

Julie said...

That's awesome! I was kinda disappointed you didn't explain all the squares... :)