Friday, April 11, 2008

Eric's new toy

Recently, for my birthday, I purchased a used xbox 360 from a guy in Montgomery, along with Halo 3 and Guitar Hero III. I couldn't be happier with it. Playing video games on a console again brings back all these great memories from earlier years, as well as being radically refreshing to just plug it in and watch it...simply work (as opposed to endlessly tampering with a PC).

I'm not the first nor the last, I'm sure, to say this; but Microsoft has a real good thing going with their Xbox Live service. I was a little skeptical at first as to how much enjoyment I'd get out of Halo 3 online since I'm usually not a big fan of online FPS play, but I've been blown away by the sheer amount of variety and fun to be had with Bungie's online play. The ability to edit my own maps and share them with others, plus seamless integrated voice-chat makes for a winner.

If there's anybody out there reading who plays Halo 3, shoot me a message and I'll give you my gamertag :)

1 comment:

Stejahen said...

Hey Eric, you might be interested in this really cool indy game for x-box live called Braid. I've been listening to lectures on game design and games as art by the designer Jonathan Blow http://braid-game.com/news/?s=lecture+design

He's kind of philosophically minded, and while the game is a 2d sidescroller, it looks like a really interesting game, it's about how we view the world and how our worldview changes.
Here's a preview: http://braid-game.com/news/?p=184