Saturday, August 4, 2007

My Collection


Some people collect things... antiques, books, decorative items, license plates, movies... I collect teaching licenses. Today, I made the next big step towards my third one- I took another teacher test. Which means that if I pass, I will have acquired 3 teaching licenses in less than 2 years. This was done by graduating in Arkansas, moving down to Texas, and now of course moving to Alabama. As I apply for the certification process in each state, I have to laugh... to be a teacher in Arkansas I had to write four hours worth of essays on how to teach, in Texas I had to take a multiple choice test that included questions on music and art, and for Alabama I had to answer college level questions such as "What is the process in reproduction that forms the zygote.... " ( I hope we don't go there in my kindergarten classroom...) Their only common thread is that they each cost a lot of money. Assuming I passed this last test (come on Biology 101!), it means that 3 states will have deemed me to be a "highly qualified" teacher each with highly different standards... and hopefully in the process of studying for all of these tests I won't leave any students behind ;)

1 comment:

Sarah Saunier said...

Gotta love the education system. Way to go on three teaching licenses. I am not sure that I even want one!