Monday, November 30, 2009

This One's for You, Sus

10 Honest Things About Me
also titled, More Than You'll Ever Need to Know

1. I make a lot of "never" statements that usually end up coming true. For example...
"I'll never date Eric." "I'm never getting Facebook or a blog." "I'm never going back to school." or case in point... "I'll never write lists about myself." As I usually eat my words, I am working on changing my statements to... "I don't plan on having kids for X years" "I don't think I want to live in suburbia..." etc.

Okay, one down.

2. I am much better at planning to workout than actually doing so. Perhaps, my intrinsic motivation for working out is not what it should be. This is somewhat embarrassing as I have played sports since a young child and even ran competitively in high school. I do much better working out with a buddy or hopefully with joining a gym, which Eric and I did yesterday.


3. I love hosting parties! When I was a young child I would make elaborate decorations for birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day... you name it. I would also plan carnivals in my backyard for the neighborhood friends. This has not waned with age, and owning a house has made partying a priority. We've had a Mexican Birthday Party, PJ party, game party, and we have an exciting Christmas party and January's a Boring Month party on the horizon.

4. I frequently make up ridiculous songs to common tunes. This is useful in the teaching profession and when I was memorizing vocabulary words in sixth grade, but I must honestly admit that I pretty much make them up all the time. I really can't share any with you because a) it's embarrassing and b) they are very spur of the moment and I don't normally remember them.

I have, however, never done karaoke.

5. I can be long-winded. See above numbers. I can talk for hours about things I am passionate about including poverty, politics, education, Sierra Leone, education.... But in honor of this "revelation" I'll stop here.

Lucky you.

6. Speaking of education (mwa haha), I knew I wanted to be a teacher at the ripe ol' age of 5. I marched home from kindergarten, bribed my 3 year old brother, and played school. I especially loved grading the papers. Twenty years later, after a brief middle school stint where I was going to be a psychologist b/c school is so uncool at that age, I am teaching my fifth class how to read. And I still love it all... except grading papers.

7. I love to bake and cook. This is a skill I've been acquiring post getting married. With my mother-in-law the world's sweetest Martha Stewart, I guess I figured I needed to make some good faith efforts in the kitchen. And I discovered, I like to cook fun and fancier things. But what I enjoy most is when Eric and I cook together. Shrimp stuffed tomato anyone?

You know you're skimming.

8. Speaking of Eric... I love him a lot. He is good for me- a good leader, a good husband, a good friend. He is my gauge and filter for when number 5 kicks in. He has a gift for communicating and putting others at ease. He's going to be a blessing to a lot of people in his ministry. He gives the best anniversary gifts ever. He's made me a liberal and ever so slightly a nerd. And we've almost been married for 4 years, if you round up by half a year. He will probably think this post is ridiculous.

9. I love language. I'm way into Scrabble; I've taken up crosswords; I started a bookclub; I get great pleasure out of editing papers; I get an even greater pleasure out of explaining the grammar rules behind my editing marks; I love commas (except in this sentence); it was a beautiful day when I discovered diagramming in sixth grade; and I secretly enjoyed writing literary analysis papers in high school as well as my course in Advanced English Grammar in college.

Lest you think too highly of me, I also greatly enjoyed the Twilight series.

10. I love being 25, and I love living in Denver.

Enough said.

Oh and... I'm supposed to nominate other people to write these honest things. So I nominate...

1. My Grandma (GM, I'm talking to you!) I know you won't write a blog, but this is my secret reminder of what I do want someday :)

2.
Carissa You have exciting things happening- write about them :)

3. Amy I'm sure you'd love this exercise.

4.
Julie I think you'd actually enjoy it.

5. Mary Maybe you could do a photography one.

No comments: