Saturday, January 24, 2009

On How to Stimulate American Businesses

Eric and I were graciously given two different gift cards by two reputable (and sweet!) people for two different reputable eating establishments for Christmas. About a month ago, Eric and I decided to use one of the gift cards to go out to eat after church. I ordered our food and gave the lady the card. When she swiped it, she said, "Oh, there's no balance on it." I explained that we had just received the card as a gift, and her response was sorry... next time you get a gift card make them swipe it back through to make sure the money is on the card. So I paid for our lunch.

I thought this was an anomaly, but last night after a long day at work, Eric and I decided to cash in on another gift card to the other restaurant. We ordered; we went to pay- and same thing. The card had zero balance, and we got the lecture on how we need to make whoever swipes the card double-check the balance. As if we had been the ones to purchase the card in the first place. So being the ridiculous late hour that it was, we paid for dinner and left.

So businesses, the moral of this story is the best way to stimulate your economic growth is not to wait for free money from the government via the American people. Rather, get the money from the American people themselves. Encourage them to buy gift cards, swipe them incorrectly, pocket that money, and then probably the money of the person who's too tired to cancel their order.

My book will be selling on Amazon shortly. :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

What a bummer! I love gift cards - they are like free money. Unless they don't work and then they're just double money for the business. Maybe you are onto something here...looking forward to the book. :)