Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy MLK Day!

Nineteen days ago, I had wanted to do a Happy New Year's post... but I didn't. And then I wanted to post about a lot of other things happening to us Andersons... but I didn't. But with no school today, I thought I would catch you up on my thoughts and life happenings.

First, I would like to thank Martin Luther King Jr. for giving me a day off of school. On a more serious note, I will stop and be thankful today that God used a flawed and sinful man to bring truth and accomplish great things, and I will let it remind me that though sinful and flawed myself God can still use me to accomplish His purposes.

If you are a blogger, what are the people called who read your blog? For all you faithful blog-ites, you may remember that I mentioned adult-like decisions that Eric and I were pondering. Well, we are planning on buying a house. In fact, our bid on a house was accepted, so pending inspections and everything else, we will be homeowners! (Which is kind of crazy, I may add!) It was a HUD home, so we got a good deal but it will involve some work before we can actually move in. Pictures and more information to follow.

I am planning on returning to Sierra Leone this summer. This deserves it's own post though... and I will share more of my thoughts on this later.

I am excited for today. I have high hopes of reading some good books that I have started but have not yet finished. I have a problem of starting a million books but not finishing them very quickly. Here is a list of the books I am currently reading:
Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller has been a breath of fresh air to me. I am enjoying his candid writing style, and he makes me feel not quite so crazy for some of the thoughts I have on Christian living. My only regret is that I haven't yet finished the book.

Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs is the book we're reading for small group. The jury is still out on the book, though I'm becoming convinced that I may have to subscribe to his message that husbands need unconditional respect. Discussion on the book has been excellent, but I'm not always the best about reading before we meet. (See below.)

The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey is another book I'm reading for my teacher's book study that meets after school at Starbucks. The jury is still out here too; though there may be a theme developing between book studies I'm in that I don't do the best job of reading for. Since this book study began first, I have read all but one chapter of this book. Turned off by his dimissal of the Apostles Creed as something Christians say that is less than genuine (though it often is), I am beginning to get over it and enjoy the book again. It may be a little too emotional and not enough theological for my taste... but he had a great chapter on grace that I enjoyed!

Mockingbird by Charles J. Shields is a rough biography of the author of my favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird. Eric bought it for me as a surprise B&N purchase, and though I'm still working through it (Chapter 3 is not enough to give an opinion on it yet) the gift meant a lot to me.

I don't claim to be a book critic (you're probably supposed to finish the books first), but as you can see I have things to think through and books to read, so I will leave you with this:

May we strive towards showing the peace and love that are from God on this MLK Day!

6 comments:

Jess said...

Congrats on your home ownership! My sister just bought a house as well, which is kind of crazy as she is only nineteen. I'm very jealous. Younger siblings aren't supposed to buy houses before their elder siblings get around to it-- I'm sure Ruth agrees with me on this one. :)

Julie said...

Hey Nicole! I am excited for you to go back to Sierra Leone, but I must admit, I am jealous! I would love to go back to see the kids, and also to see the progress made (if any) on the challenged kids program. I will be sending you guys some things to bring in your suitcases! Let me know if there are any specific prayer requests. Is Eric going this time?

Mary Schwarz said...

You crazy homeowner! That's awesome (I need to call you and catch up)! You'll have to tell me about Sierra Leone plans, too...

Sarah Saunier said...

How's it going reading all those great books!

Nicole said...

I read for book study this week... didn't I???

Ecies said...

congrats on the house!