Saturday, July 5, 2008

More Than Faces

Up until now I have always been on the receiving end of stories and pictures from friends' international and mission related travels. Looking at pictures, I think that it can be hard to understand that these are just as real of people as myself with the same basics desires and needs, including the ultimate need- Christ.

I wanted to share some of the Sierra Leonian people who became more than faces to me. While I miss the children and teachers in general, these are people who I miss on a deeper level...

Kfala
This little boy in Prep Four gave me my African name, Aminata. He was my special buddy throughout my time there.

George and Moses
George and Moses are in JSS (Junior High) and live in Ngolala. I met George my first day in Banta; he is incredibly friendly and confident. Moses can do a good Michael Jackson impression and was my Mende teacher.


Augustan Daniel
To Augustan Daniel it was very important that I remember his name. He was a pensive child with a very giving spirit.

Aunty Mariama
She is one of the auntys for the girls in Strength house. She has two teenage daughters and a preschooler named Kadijah. She loves the girls of her house well, and she took the time to teach me how to "chook-chook" (a needlework). She was very patient. She trusted me with her only needle to practice.

Elijah
Elijah and Eric would have made great friends. Elijah is a 32 year old Liberian national intern for COTN this year. His story is a difficult one but one that reflects God's grace. He is training to be a pastor and has a deep passion for the hurting whom he meets.

Gee
Thinking of Gee, I can't help but smile. Gee is my age and was the other national intern who was actually from Liberia as well. When I was attending elementary school, Gee was running for his life with his family. He has experienced difficult things, but his joy overflows upon those whom he meets. The boys at the home look up to Gee. It was special to see Gee mentoring those boys.

Aunty Christiana
Aunty Chris is an amazing woman. The fact that no one on our team got stomach sickness is credited to this woman (and of course to God's provision). She used to be the head mother for the children's home when it was in Freetown and took the time to come and serve by cooking for us this summer. She let us "help" her and was always willing to talk with us.

Aunty Esther
Aunty Esther was the Prep One (first grade) teacher in Freetown. She had such a learner's spirit and welcomed me into her room.

Janet Nicol
Janet is in Prep Two and lives in Ngolala. She attached herself to me the first day in Banta and from then on I could count on her to be holding my hand. We are going to sponsor her.

The Nicol Family
This is Janet's family who I spent time with on each of my visits to the village. She has a preschool-aged sister name Mangela, her mother Margaret, and a two week old brother. They welcomed me, invited me to eat with them, and shared their lives with me. I truly miss them.

Aminata
Aminata is also from Ngolala. She spoke little English; I spoke little Mende ;but it didn't stop us from laughing together. I taught her American dances, and she taught me Mende ones. I would leave the village walking hand in hand with her.

2 comments:

Carissa Lynn said...

Aw, I miss our Sierra Leone friends a lot....hope all is well in Arizona and Denver! loves...

Jamison said...

Nicole,
It's been a while since I've read your blog...your pictures (and thoughts!) are beautiful. Thanks for keeping all of us updated. We still miss you in College Station.