Monday, March 15, 2010

Christless Christianity


Hello again - it's been awhile since I posted on here (thanks Nicole for keeping it going in my absence!). Recently I've been reading lots of good books and bombarding folks on Facebook with my favorite quotes from them. I thought it would be more appropriate to place them here where at least people can decide whether they're interested or not.

I just started reading Michael Horton's Christless Christianity last night, and I can already tell; it's going to be a convicting, powerful ride. Here's the money quote from the first chapter:

"My concern is that we are getting dangerously close to the place in everyday American church life where the Bible is mined for 'relevant' quotes but is largely irrelevant on its own terms; God is used as a personal resource rather than known, worshiped, and trusted; Jesus Christ is a coach with a good game plan for victory rather than a Savior who has already achieved it for us; salvation is more a matter of having our best life now than being saved from God's judgment by God himself; and the Holy Spirit is an electrical outlet we can plug into for the power we need to be all that we can be."



No comments: