Wednesday, July 22, 2009

There Is a Time for Traveling, There Is a Time for Reflection...


Sierra Leone to Canada. Canada to Ohio. Ohio to Denver with my wonderful sis-in-law Ruth in tow. Tomorrow will be the first day in a while we have not had company or have been traveling. It has been a full, wonderful summer, and I have that good tired feeling to prove it (as well as probably some typos in this post!). This summer though has left little time for reflection or for sharing my experiences with you. I will start tonight by sharing with you the letter I just sent out to my Salone supporters (snail mailers it will be arriving at your doorstep shortly!). I look forward to continuing to share my thoughts with you on Sierra Leone and my adventures in all my other travels. Begin reflection: check

Dear Family and Friends,
The teachers and children of Sierra Leone send their greetings! It was so good to return to my African friends and continue to teach and learn alongside them! Thank you for your support that allowed me to return.

The benefits of returning for a second year were great. From the moment we arrived, I was greeted as a friend and not as a stranger. The rapport we built last year enabled us to immediately begin working cooperatively with the teachers. I began where we stopped- filling in holes in the reading process and continuing to emphasize the importance of phonics and understanding how words work. It was an encouragement to talk to teachers who have a vision of change for the way their students are taught and who are hungry to learn all they can to raise up an educated generation. These teachers are the key to starting a process of change in Sierra Leone.

I was most blessed through my continued relationships with these teachers as well as a multitude of other nationals. In Sierra Leone, relationships are the priority above all else- you stop to talk to everyone you pass. These small moments are what stick out in my mind. Hearing Uncle Sons want his teachers to understand that all children can learn; having Aunty Miatta ask me to visit her class daily; responding to Pastor James' questions about my husband whom he remembered from last year; receiving a live chicken (a very special gift) from Aminata; hugging Amie, Janet, Christiana, Joseph, Kfala, and so many other children. These are more that life-long "padi's," or friends, since they are my brothers and sisters in Christ. When you leave Sierra Leone, the nationals will say, "We will see you next year or across the River Jordan."

Which leaves me with the question I have been turning over in my mind- what is my place in Sierra Leone? I see hope in the midst of so much pain and sorrow through these relationships that are being formed. I see change through teachers and children who are being empowered. What is my place (what is our place) in this? Is it to return again to continue the work that's been started? Is it to sponsor another child that they might receive an education? Is it to pray fervently for these people, who pray this way for me and for our country? Is it to take the lessons they continually teach me about relationships and practice them here in Denver?

I am growing and being stretched through my time in Sierra Leone and would love to talk to each of you more about my experiences there and ways to be involved. But for now, I will simply tell papa God tenki.

in Christ,

Nicole

No comments: