Monday, May 12, 2008

It's a Small World After All

Disclaimer: Eric says this is an overused, ridiculous title. Personally, anything classic Disney can never grow old.

So, Saturday Eric and I gave blood. Now before Eric and I appear to be "good people," let me tell you how it happened. I have been fearing two things about my Africa trip this summer, my vaccinations (I almost fainted) and donating blood (ditto). The reason that I decided to give blood for the first time was not that I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity before I couldn't do it for several years. It was simply because COTN needs my blood type in case something unfortunate happens. I asked my doctor about it and he said I could either pay $60 dollars for a test or donate blood for free.

So, there I was at the donation center Saturday morning. Eric came along for the ride (literally) as I didn't trust myself to drive the hour home from Montgomery. Eric was not going to give blood as the thought of needles didn't sit too well with him.

We arrived at the donation center, and I was answering a lot of "yes-es" and "no-es" to questions when a lady came up to Eric to look at his shirt. He was wearing a shirt from his A&M days- the one with a kiss on Lenin's head from the Commune Date Party (shout out boys)! As Eric explained the meaning of the shirt, as perhaps he could do in another blog post, the lady realized he had attended Texas A&M (spousal "whoop!"). She said that she knew someone who went to A&M and said "Do you know... " (At which point I was thinking, there is no way.) "... Brian ----." And yeah, we did. Brian and his wife Janelle live in College Station and actually work with the youth at our old church Westminster. The lady turned out to be Janelle's mom's best friend. Then they found out that Eric was a youth director.

Needless to say, Eric was now donating as well.

A little while later as I was psyching myself up for the whole ordeal, the lady came over and told me I had won a drawing. (She worked for the Christian radio station that was hosting.) Note: I believe my "luck" was influenced by the Franklin connection. On the way home I opened up my "prize" to find a James Dobson series on marriage. The crazy part was that on the front cover a couple that I knew from John Brown University was smiling back at me! (I also think it's worth noting that I'm pretty sure the couple was only engaged when the marriage series came out- you can't fool me Focus on the Family!)

Two college connections. One day. Our first/last time to donate blood. What a Saturday!

No comments: