Thursday, March 6, 2008

Green Eggs, A Cat, And a Love of Books

I do not like green eggs and ham! I do not like them ...

You fill in the blank. You know it.

Dr. Seuss has forever stamped his mark on children's literature, and for many, some of their first reading memories are associated with him. I remember eating green eggs and ham in preschool, learning to read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, listening to my grandmother read The Cat in the Hat and The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (two books which immediately take me to my grandparents home in my mind).... as I got older I remember hearing many times around high school graduation Oh The Places You'll Go, listening to my JBU Leadership Program director read the wise words of Horton, "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant... an elephant's faithful 100 percent!", creating my version of My Many Colored Days (with much illustration help from my friend Jeremy Grant).... and the list goes on. And then of course how could we forget oobleck or the wise words of the Lorax???

March 2nd is the birthday of Theodor Seuss Geisel.. and so all week long my kindergarten classroom has been busy doing Dr. Seuss activities. We've read a lot of books with special readers... firemen, a policeman, the superintendent, and my favorite "Mr. Anderson." Tonight we had a Dr. Seuss Party at school for kids and their parents to attend... which was great! Below are some pictures:


One of my kindergarten co-workers... you would really like her :)

Most of us kindergarten teachers... there are 11 of us in all!

Mr. Anderson doing his thing!

So, what is your favorite Dr. Seuss book? Please share!

2 comments:

Faith Weir said...

Hi Nicole and Eric! I hope you don't mind I stumbled across your blog! My favorite Dr. Seuss book is Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? The reason is because my 2 1/2 year old can "read" it! It is so much fun to teach her to read and for her to look at the pictures and try to read them too.

Nicole said...

Faith... I'm glad you found us :) That is a good one.. a judge came in and read it to the K - 2 kids over the intercom... my kids about died laughing!