Saturday, December 15, 2007

Some School Funnies

Two posts- one night :) I'm on a roll....

Yesterday at work, I had a funny conversation with one of my students. I had promised my student that after finishing the required work I would let this student get on the computer to "play" the educational computer game that our district has purchased for internet use. However, when I tried to log this student in, I was unable to do so as the site was down. I explained that the computer wasn't working... and promised computer use when the site was working again.

A few minutes later, I called the student over to me to take an Accelerated Reader quiz (a book quiz on the internet for you non-teachers out there). The student was aghast and said, "Mrs. Anderson, the computer is working- look! Now, I can get on it!" I tried to explain in kindergarten language, "Well part of the computer is working so we can play this game (everything is a game in kindergarten- it's very motivational), but the other game is broken." My student replied, "It must be working. Look at it!" To which I replied the kindergarten equivalent of "Tough luck." How do you explain the internet to a five year old????

After this conversation, I began typing in this student's ID on the log in page, which is first initial-last name. Turning to a friend, this student replied matter-a-factly, "Mrs. Anderson doesn't know how to write all of my name." How easily we forget who has taught us what we know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey! i had a great time catching up with you the other day. i hope you have a great trip!