Thursday, November 15, 2007

If Only I Could Do College Again...

At the youth retreat two weekends ago, I had an interesting experience. By "interesting" I mean funny and awkward.

On Saturday afternoon, another youth sponsor approached me while I was talking to some of our youth and asked me if I would help tie water balloons for an upcoming game. As my job was to "help out," I of course agreed. As I began tying the balloons, he profusely thanked me for my help and said that I could take some balloons to throw when we had finished. I thought this was a somewhat odd request- I didn't need to be bribed and why would I want to throw a water balloon at one of our youth???

I continued tying balloons, and he told me to give some to my friends to tie. I explained that I didn't mind and thought that friends was kind of a funny word to use.

I continued tying and breaking water balloons all over me (I was pretty drenched when I finished. Tying water balloons is not for wimps my friends!) Somewhere in this conversation, he looked at my RUF shirt I was wearing and the following conversation ensued:

Sponsor: "Ruff" What's that?
Me: R-U-F (I thought he was making a joke. I mean after all we are at a PCA deep south retreat. And he looked like he was still in his late 20's.)
Sponsor: Okay, R-U-F what's that?
Me: Oh sorry, I thought you might have heard of it. Reformed University Fellowship. It's a college ministry associated with the PCA that I was in in college.
Sponsor: Were in or want to be in?
Me: (our whole interaction starting to make sense) was in
Sponsor: (astonished) How old are you?
Me: 23 (Slightly irritated after getting about 5 comments a week on how young I look from everyone and their barking, unleashed dog in Greenville)
Sponsor: Oh, I thought you were a high school student.
Me: ha.ha.ha. (Hopefully it was convincing).

That was kind of the end of our conversation. We kind of avoided each other after that. I will spare you the rant I gave Eric, but I will say two things:
1. I may look "young," but I would like to hope that I do not look 6 years younger than I am.
2. I know my husband is not a millionaire, but come on, I do have a wedding ring.

I guess though, if looking young made you able to keep doing college.... I'll take it. Oh, and no one is allowed to post comments about how one day I will appreciate looking younger!!!

6 comments:

Mary Schwarz said...

Ha ha...I was recently called a "little girl" by some old woman in the grocery store...and yes, I don't want to hear that I'll appreciate it when I'm 40. Great story...

txmoabite said...

I get that all the time too! Maybe it's because we don't have any children...

Sarah Saunier said...

If you move to Denver, it would be like college again. And people here won't think that you look too young!

Sarah Saunier said...

Sublimal message #1...Come teach kindergarten at our school. Sublimal message #2...Move to Denver. Subliminal message #3...Come to Denver to hang out with really cool people:) BASICALLY. WE WANT YOU AND NEED YOU HERE:)
-Carissa (posted on Sarah's account...sorry)

Heather said...

I was asked if I would like a child's menu...when I was 23...and pregnant (ok, newly pregnant so I wasn't showing.)
AND while helping out with vacation bible School at our church where John was the youth director (sounding familiar Nicole?) a fifth grader actually looked at me and then asked his teacher why I don't have to go in with the rest of the kids. I was 23 then as well. I win.
And we won't even talk about the myriad of looks I still get with my 5 little ducks toddling behind me - yes, they are all my kids.
And I am 5 years away from 40.
The good news? I am finally look 28.
It can happen to you - and Mary. ;)

Nicole said...

Thanks Heather! I'm glad that others understand! Maybe I'll look grown-up one day... until then, I'll keep pretending!