Monday, September 3, 2007

Ahhh Education

I was browsing the internet on my day off and found some interesting articles.

Read this in light of the fact that all my students are African-American

(and check out the demographics of Greenville)

Read this about the nationwide teacher shortage.

(I know my teacher friends can agree.)

Many people probably see this post as irrelevant... but what happens in education now will affect our children (regardless of how we will choose to educate them). Vote wisely :)

4 comments:

southcutt said...

From the first article you linked:

"[No Child Left Behind] focused pressure and resources on making the achievement of minority children in segregated schools equal to children in schools that were fully integrated."

That's a pretty skewed perspective. I was never a fan of NCLB, but if I recall correctly, its stated goals were all based on relative achievement levels, and did not tie achievement to race demographics in any way.

Sarah Saunier said...

You are funny friend. I love your views on education. So we got a play house for our room. Do you think that is educational enough!

Eric said...

My understanding of NCLB was that evaluation was based in part on equal performance in testing by members of different demographics, including racial categories.

I'll see if I can dig anything up to say one way or the other.

Anonymous said...

The federal government shouldn't be involved in local education. I second: "Vote wisely."