Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Twenty-somethings

It's starting to sink in that Greenville, AL is really our home. The people from church have from the beginning been very welcoming to us, and we've enjoyed getting to know people- younger people and older people that is. But last week, I did meet someone my age or relatively close to my age for the first time (one of my coworkers at my new teaching job). It was funny, but I didn't realize that this was true until it happened. Maybe it was b/c I had gone to see friends on my Arkansas road trip or maybe I had gotten used to being the oldest "twenty something" in our church -Eric being the youngest :) . So, I began musing on some differences between being young to mid twenties and being "older" with a family.

- We plan events and activities mostly on the spur of the moment with a day's notice considered "in advance." They plan events for the following month.

- We claim the simplistic style of furnishings by necessity and marvel at how much stuff we have accumulated since the dorm room days. Their children ask when we are going to get some furniture for our home.

- We see buying a dog, furniture, or a car or landing a "real job" as a significant milestone that is only to be rivaled by purchasing a house. They assume all of the above.

- We predict who will be the first to have kids. They are busy driving them to soccer practice.

This is not a great list... just some differences I've noticed between where Eric and I are at and that of the general population of Greenville. I know it will change me... the "how" is yet to be determined :)

3 comments:

Annie said...

I'm glad to see you guys are blogging! I hope our paths will cross again sometime soon! Maybe we'll have to plan ahead like families do. =)

Kierstyn said...

I didn't know you guys had a blog! Glad I stumbled on it.

It sounds like you are settling into life in AL. Congrats on the new job!!

Kierstyn

Sarah Saunier said...

You guys are cute. I like your blog! Oh the joys of being a 20 something.