Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"My grace is sufficient for you..."

Since arriving in Greenville, I've taught three Sunday school lessons, three Sunday night lessons, a week's worth of VBS to 4th-6th graders, and led numerous discussion/devotional times during RYM. This has been a difficult transition for me, because I am not a gifted nor well-trained teacher.

On more than one occasion, I've been tempted to become frustrated with my inability. My lessons are too long, too boring, too short, lack application, or are just hard to follow in general. But, in all of this, my encouragement comes from Paul's words to the Corinthian church in I Corinthians 2:1-5

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

I don't always do a good job of this, but I do feel like I am learning and that God is teaching me. My goal is to endeavor to present Christ in all of my lessons. I want to show them how much I need Jesus so God will use the testimony of His grace in my life to work in their hearts.

1 comment:

Jamison said...

Hey Eric!
It's funny that you bring up this topic; Lindsay and I have been going through a Bible study on 1 Corinthians and I was struck with how important speech, rhetoric, and knowledge were to the Corinthians--so when Paul talks about all that being garbage compared to knowing Christ, he really humbled himself to being nothing in their eyes. God will accomplish his will, no matter how stinky/awesome we are!
I'm glad to see you guys thriving and that you are being encouraged in the word.