Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Eve

I love Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday. I've been trying to decide why this is, and I've come up with a couple of reasons (over-analyzing yet again).

1. Growing up it was the most "drama-free" of the major holidays, at least in my child-like perception. Christmas always had bigger hopes and bigger let-downs, but Thanksgiving was almost always good. We always ate the exact same things- it wouldn't be Turkey Day without cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes... so of course I'll be bringing them tomorrow. Did you know I crave tradition?
2. Thanksgiving marks the beginning of party season, and being an avid party thrower, I like that I can savor the day and still look forward to more, since boring ol' January is still eons away.
3. Thanksgiving is a more unassuming holiday that often is almost overlooked, and as a fighter of injustice, I like to champion its cause. I will not put up my tree until the fourth Friday in November.
4. It is a good reminder to be thankful for the many blessings the LORD has given to Eric and to me. Because they're a lot. And really, if we're being thankful- which means, as I teach my kindergarteners, "We are happy to have it, and we want to say thank you."- it's all kind of meaningless with out having Someone to be saying thank you too.

Tomorrow, I will not be playing football to wet my appetite- can I get a shout-out for 10 degrees Fahrenheit!- but I will be joining friends and friends of friends for a Thanksgiving feast of epic proportions.

What am I thankful for? That Eric agreed to get up and watch the Macy's parade with me in the morning!

1 comment:

Julie said...

great points Nicole! Happy Thanksgiving!